Submitted by NBHS Principal, Dr. Bob Falkenstein, dated March 3, 2014
Upon my recommendation, the North Baltimore Board of Education approved students to “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) to school in grades 7-12. These procedures went into effect already and will remain in effect for the rest of this year and beyond. Students and staff members are adjusting to this change, and the response so far have been really positive! With teacher permission, students may access our network for educational purposes on any device they bring including Kindles, tablets, phones, and laptop computers.
We piloted BYOD last spring and had a great experience. Since then, staff members have been trained in ways to engage student learning through student devices and also devices provided by the school district. We are using the same design as the pilot program. Teachers’ rooms and common spaces are marked as Green (devices allowed at will), Yellow (devices allowed only with teacher permission), or Red (devices not permitted). For example, during lunches the auditeria is marked as Green. Locker rooms are always Red.
Students and parents have already signed our Acceptable Use policy through beginning of the year paperwork. I have included in this letter the procedures that we will also use. If a student is using a device where they should not, or without teacher permission, then the device will be held in the office for parents to pick up after school (first offense) and so on as outlined in the student handbook.
Technology, phones, iPods, Kindles, and tablets are here to stay. At NB Middle/High School, we want to mesh learning with how teachers and students use technology. Please call or email me with any questions or concerns.
I invite you to follow me on Twitter @BobFalkenstein for instant updates about delays/closings, sports scores, and information.
Dr. Bob Falkenstein, Principal - email@example.com
North Baltimore Local Schools
BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE (BYOD) PROGRAM
The use of an approved personal electronic device is a privilege, and students may be denied access at any time. Students wishing to participate in the Bring your Own Device program must comply with the following guidelines and procedures.
1. must abide by the District Acceptable Use Policy and Regulations, and are subject to all student code of conduct restrictions and disciplinary consequences relating to use or misuse of technology.
2. are responsible for ensuring the safety of their own personal devices. The District is not responsible for the loss or theft of a device, nor are they responsible for any damage done to the device while at school.
3. will use approved devices only for an educational purpose, and only when directed by a classroom teacher or administrator.
4. must keep devices turned off when not directed to use them.
5. may not use the camera feature to capture, record, or transmit audio, video or still photos of other students, faculty, or staff without explicit permission given by the subject of the photo or video.
6. are not to use the device in a manner that is disruptive to the educational environment.
7. exhibiting harassing, intimidating behavior or found bullying through the use of a personal electronic device are subject to discipline under the District Hazing and Bullying policy and
8. are responsible for servicing their personal electronic devices. The District will not service, repair or maintain any non-district owned technology brought to, and used at school by students.
Wireless Guest Access Information: