October 23, 2012
Dr. Bob Falkenstein
1. Middle School: Excellent with Distinction! Our Performance Index rose 8 points in one year, which helped show more than one year’s growth for our students.
2. High School: Excellent for second year in a row. Our Performance Index rose nearly 5 points in one year, which translates to remarkable progress.
*In addition to grade 7, 8, 10, and 11 tests, we achieved attendance percentages and graduation rate.
*Combined in our building, we met 18 of 18 indicators in 2011-2012!
a. Superb teacher leadership including professional development opportunities, changes to instructional practices, and maintaining high expectations
b. Teachers’ hard work to assist in developing and fully implementing our 3 year plan to change from current standards to the Ohio Core Standards
c. A middle school math improvement plan that included assessment and assistance from our math coach
d. A growing literacy program in grades 7-8 English Language Arts that meshes with the elementary program
e. Setting positive consequences, rewards, and incentives for students throughout the year
f. Supportive parents who check ProgressBook for missing assignments and grades
g. Moving away from teacher-led learning and toward inquiry-based instruction
h. Improved school attendance due to changed expectations
i. Holding to strict graduation guidelines
j. An improved student mindset at the high school level (many years in the making) that shows our students expecting more of themselves including post secondary education and training
k. A changed leadership structure within the school, thanks to dedicated staff members
l. Talented, artistic, smart, poised, and remarkably respectful students!
3. Tree Planting on Tuesday, October 16 with selected 8th graders
4. Entrance landscaping: Sunday work with Penta
Ron Matter, Penta Superintendent
Jim Henline, Supervisor of Agricultural Program
Jody Germann, Teacher of Landscaping and Turf Management along with his wife Tricia and children Garrett and Gretchen
Chris Snyder, NB Custodian and his wife Jenn
Taylor Straley, NB Senior and Cheerleader, Penta student in Small Animal Care
Josh Forbes, NB Junior and Penta student in the Landscaping program
Bob Falkenstein, NB Principal
Mr. Germann ordered $1500 worth of plants and trees at a discounted rate from North Branch Nursery in Pemberville after carefully designing an overall plan. 5 yards of mulch were used. Next Sunday another $500 worth of plants will be put in the ground to finish off the front of the school and islands in the front parking area. A water management plan is currently in development to ensure a good start to the fall planting season.
5. Applications to BGSU on site…11 students so far
6. Limited Edition NB Main Building Ornaments are $15 and will be on sale soon at events and in the office
7. MS Rewards day is Nov. 2 during the afternoon school hours (Dance in the evening 7-9)
8. The dodge ball tournament was very well attended again this year
9. Next Tuesday and Wednesday we are hosting a suicide information seminar for all freshmen during 1 class each day. Ann Huss and Noelle Duvall from Children’s Resource Center run the program.
10. Parent teacher conferences start on November 8.
11. To celebrate Veterans Day, on November 12 the NB Legion will host a special flag raising ceremony at the new school. I invite community members to attend. The outdoor ceremony will start at 2:20 and end by 2:35.